View from Geary, Isle of Skye Protected by it’s namesake Ben Geary, from prevailing westerly winds, the small village of Geary lies strung out along the north eastern flank of Waternish. The village has uninterrupted view to the Ascrib islands sitting in Loch Snizort and beyond to the northern most area of Skye, Trotternish.
The area, over preceding centuries has been witness to the scenes of many bitter feuds and battles between the MacLeods and MacDonalds, culminating in one of the most well documented atrocities at Trumpan Church where the MacLeod congregation were trapped inside the church and the building was torched killing all within. The perpetrators were slaughtered on the shore line by Norman, the 12th MacLeod chief, in retaliation.
There is also the astounding story of the “War of the one eyed woman”. In the year 1600 one Donald Gorm Mor (MacDonald), hand fasted with Margaret MacLeod for a years trial. Unhappy with the arrangement he sent the now partially sighted Margaret back home, it was an ignominious return, astride a one eyed horse, escorted by a one eyed groom, and followed by a one eyed dog!
Outraged by this slight, The Clan MacLeod launched a series of bitter battles against the MacDonalds that lasted two years. It was said to be the last clan fight in Skye.
With these facts amongst many others and the wealth of Scottish myths and folk lore surrounding the Waternish peninsula, coupled with outstanding natural scenery, then Waternish can be truly described as a magical place.